Sunday, May 1, 2011

Day two!

Okay, so this morning armed with a cup of coffee I wander out to the trailer and am immediately overwhelmed by all that needs to be done.  My plan for the day was at the minimum to remove the stove followed by all the lights and then the bellypan.

   The stove was held in by four screws, an easy lift out.  Unfortunately I had to evict my first tenant!!! Ewwww

So far the Mouse count is at one, but from the droppings I'm guessing he had relatives!

So this was the first chance I really got to explore the trailer and hunt in the nooks and crannies...And I've discovered that she spent at least part of her life as a ***** gasp******* hunting trailer.   At least the PO's were nice enough to put a real deadbolt on the door rather than hasp and lock!   Yep, a hunting trailer.  So what gave it away?    How about the dead ducks and camouflage curtains!!!!

 Course all the decals from archery/gun places probably should have tipped me off too!   







I was hoping for a hidden gem like an old photo or tickets , nope.... well I did find something. Lucky me!  Hmm don't think I'm going to be framing and proudly hanging this on the wall!  Who knows maybe something will be behing the cabinets.  Fingers crossed :)


I'm sure you've noticed the  switch to black and white...that's good 'cause I DIDN'T!!!  I was meticulous about documenting the wiring in all the lights because wiring is one of the things I find as mysterious as the great pyramids.   I stowed all the lights in my car to take home to refinish.  Pull up the pictures on the camera and drat...so much for that idea.  Maybe the wiring will be simpler than I think.  Moonraker is an Overlander and from what I understand every fixture has two bulbs because one is wired for 12 volt and the other for 110.  Totally separate circuits.  All I know is that there's a lot of wires!  Most have been snack food for the critters.

All in all not a bad day, beautiful weather for Vermont!  The ground was really soggy so the belly pan was put on hold for now.  I did do some "payback" time and helped my BIL and sister put a rub rail back on her 60 Tradewind.     A good day and the girls got to play with the new chicks.   Hows this for a picture?

Chicks with Chicks!



My daughter Annabelle is in the center with my two nieces on either side. 


Coming soon to the blog.  Rejuvenating the light fixtures and the story of Moonraker's previous owners....

Time for a plug!  Be sure to listen to The VAP (Vintage Airstream Podcast)  on ITunes .  Lots of great info on restoring and maintaining your Airstream.  Many thanks to Tim Shephard, Colin Hyde, Rob Baker and Frank Yensan for the hours of entertainment!

2 comments:

  1. I love Overlander's of any vintage. I'm going to enjoy following your blog. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike :) Your thread on your restoration has been a huge inspiration! Matter of fact, I'm stealing your idea of stripping the ceiling light!

    ReplyDelete