Saturday, June 8, 2013

Painting the tongue and bumper

Well, it turns out polishing is not something that can be done for 8 hours a day.  I average 3 hours and at the end of that my hands look like crab claws!  It's really not easy to type that way! I know    .....Excuses, excuses ... The truth is I've been ignoring this blog because I am so far behind in catching it up.

I had my tongue and bumper covered with black plastic since we brought Moonraker home, evidently POR 13 is sensitive to UV exposure.  So as soon as the temps began to rise, I wanted to topcoat them. The step also needed to be topcoated.

I decided to use the POR Sterling silver paint.  I wanted something that was extra tough and hopefully last for a few years.  At $27 a PINT, this stuff better!   I also bought the POR self-etching primer because at this point the bumper and tongue had fully cured.

I always tape off the rim when I pour paints, it keeps the channel clean and its especially important with the Sterling Silver paint.

Evidently the paint adheres so strongly to metal that it will actually glue the lid on permanently! I put a piece of heavy plastic under rim between uses and didn't have a problem



I cleaned with Marine Clean, scuffed up all the surfaces with 300 grit, taped off anything I didn't want to get paint on ( I will return to this point later.  I know, you can't wait! ), painted one medium coat with the primer and a foam brush, waited thirty minutes for it to dry and then did 2 coats with the sterling silver.  Voila!



















No pictures of the bumper cause I'm an airhead

My impressions?   I'm glad I used the primer which was light gray in color.  The sterling silver paint was like water, very hard to get a even coverage. If I had been painting it over the black POR I think it would have been more difficult.  I got a mostly streak free finish but I understand why people complain about this paint being streaky.

Would I use it again?  I don't think so.

First it's expensive -  $27 for the paint, $30 for the primer plus shipping!  And honestly I've gotten a better finish out of rattle cans.    And as I already own a 4 stage HVLP Fuji Paint sprayer (I collect tools the way old ladies collect cats!)  I probably would have been better off with an automative paint.

Remember that story I alluded to earlier?  Well when I removed the painters tape (the delicate stuff no less)  it actually removed the so called powder coat on my Bull dog jack!I just ran out there and took a picture of it in the poring rain so you could see. I'm nice like that.

 Powder coat that scrapes off with my fingernail?   Good job Bulldog!  I deliberately chose this jack because it has metal gears and is made in the USA.  Sigh, I think I'll rattle can it and see what holds up better!



On a side note My helper turned one recently..... Happy Birthday Finnegan!


5 comments:

  1. The top coat is meant to be sprayed, not brushed(even though it says crushable) that is why it is so thin...

    ReplyDelete
  2. dang fat fingers!!!!! Brushable, not crushable!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, courtesy parking for you in Utah if you bring Finnegan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silver Gold Bull is your trusted bullion dealer. You will be provided with bargain, live rates and make sure that your precious metals are delivered to your door discreetly and securely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When your baby changes his/her bed from crib to a toddler bed/child bed, he goes through a transition. In a crib, he/she gets protected from rolling out by the crib bars. For a child bed, this is not possible as there is no bar. But, he might be unable to remove the habit of rolling out at a sudden. Therefore, it can be risky for him as there are chances of falling out of the bed. So, he requires extra security for certain time. To ensure his or her security, you can purchase a set of foam bumpers or bed rails. If you ask for a quality bed bumpers for baby and adults, then we suggest you go for the Hiccapop Toddler Bed Bumper Foam and Bed Rails.

    ReplyDelete