Monday, August 12, 2013

Close encounters

This past week I feel like I dodged not one bullet but two!  And this has nothing to do with my airstream!

 First Maggie, my Sheltie, was rushed to the emergency room with what turned out to be a burst gall bladder.  She was operated on in an emergency hospital and is recovering nicely now.   I really thought we were going to lose her.  I know you see Finn more on this blog but that's because, well..... He's always in my way!  Maggie on the other hand is my "once in a lifetime" dog.  She was a rescue, became an agility dog for my son and is the smartest dog I've ever owned.

Turns out that some Sheltie's have a genetic condition that causes a mucocele in gall bladder.  Kinda of like a ticking time bomb.  Thankfully my sis was here and encouraged me to take her in immediately and have exploratory surgery because the surgeon said that if I had waited she wouldn't have made it.

Second event was this morning, I was walking Finn on a trail, we usually go about three miles in the morning.  I hear all this crashing to my right and see a huge black bear running on a diagonal right for us!  Finn turned into a barking snarling monster and the black bear stopped,  faced us and then after what seemed like a million years turned and walked across the trail and entered the woods on the other side.   I was still about 1/2 mile from the car and I admit I covered that ground way faster on the way back! I'm not ever taking that trail again either.    I think I sat in the car a good 10 minutes with the doors locked  ( I know bears can't open car doors but ....)  before I stopped shaking enough to drive.

Here's hoping this coming week will be less eventful, there's only so much excitement a gal can take!




5 comments:

  1. Wow Shelly! Those are some unfortunate circumstances that turned out well in the end. Man oh man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you and your dogs are okay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow scary tale. Glad the dog was so brave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad everyone is ok! Our dog is also named Maggie, and she is our once-in-a-lifetime dog too :) Crazy about the bear!

    ReplyDelete