Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Its a wrap! Cyclo wrap that is....

No worries, I'm still working on Moonraker, just finishing up windows and I'll blog about that shortly.

In the meantime, I've been using the cyclo.  It only took me a day to figure out that the method of using the one big piece of sweatshirt material and cutting slits and moving it around as advocated here at Perfect Polish.com is seriously like wrestling with a huge dirty diaper! It also adds weight to an already heavy polisher and having the clean space to lay it out to roll it up correctly was impossible as my tools keep migrating into the open area!

So I set out to make my own bonnets.   I bought sweatshirt material from wazoodle.  It comes 60 inches wide.  I cut 10x15 inch rectangles.  then using a zigzag stitch on my sewing machine I put round cord elastic around the edge.  Be careful not to catch the cord so you can pull up on the end, cut off and tie.








Voila!
Here it is on the polisher.  Its a generous size, I think I could make them slightly smaller, but I like the fact they stay on.











Was it more economical?  Well out of just over a yard of fabric (40 x 60 inches wide) I get 16 bonnets for just under $10 or $1.60 a piece.   The perfect polish material comes in a 10 pack for $68, one piece gives you 16 positions (assuming you can keep the cloth uncontaminated)  so each "position" costs  50 cents.   So no, not cost effective, (gee, I wish I'd done this analysis first instead of waiting til now!)   but all my bonnets stay uncontaminated in their own plastic baggies and can be washed easily.

 I couldn't find all cotton sweatshirt material locally if you can, you might be able to reduce the cost!  You could also just buy the perfect polish sweatshirt material and cut it up too, that would work out to 8 bonnets per piece or 85 cents a bonnet.

Finn didn't think much of my polishing bonnets but enjoyed the air conditioned comfort of being inside for once!










2 comments:

  1. I like your posts in general, and the polishing ones in particular.

    Please keep up the updates. Thanks!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete