Friday, September 13, 2013

Out, Out Damned spots!


Okay, I posted this on the Jestco thread on the Airforums here, post #18 but I had spots on my trailer from undercasting the aluminum while polishing.  I guess if you use too much polish, or polish at too high/slow a speed (or basically even look at it funny!)  you can actually burn the polish under the surface of the aluminum. There it lies in wait until you try to get a mirror shine and then these spots start to catch and hold the polish, no amount of extra polishing will get them out.
 They looked like this


I am happy,  no ECSTATIC to report that they are now gone!  I owe many thanks to Becky, Vernon, Top and Frank for giving me options and encouraging me to press on.  And special thanks to Alansd for starting the Jestco thread as I was pretty sure I had burned thru the AlClad and was going to have to live with it! If and when I ever meet you all, the beverages are on me!

In the end, it was a case of not being aggressive enough. The first time I tried Nuvite F7, I used a new pad and I guess it didn't have enough " bite" to it yet. This time it worked perfectly although it took some time, they kept getting lighter and lighter.    I did have to resort to using Alumiprep 33 on one spot (I diluted 3 parts water to one part Alumprep and left it on 3 minutes), and I think there's another that I'll have to look at again in the morning sun.  But overall I'm a happy camper tonite!

And no Becky,  still no polishing pictures LOL!!!! 

4 comments:

  1. Great job sis! Your airstream is looking GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so grateful for your last two posts! I, too, have a "burned" spot on my trailer that I was pretty sure was permanent. I will also have to make up some of my own sweatshirt bonnets. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad that worked out for you, I am still struggling getting my shine on. Seems by the time I get around the 26' trailer I need to start again ..Using the pink bar from Jestco right now, and it is helpful but not the final answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you try white rouge? I found the pink rouge to be useless, not enough cutting action, try white!

      Ps I have 2 whole bars of pink, they are yours for the shipping cost if you want! :)

      Delete